Mert Erdir has discovered how to upgrade to iOS 5 without developer accounts, using a simple backdoor. Everyone can do it following these extremely simple instructions:
The method exploits a security flaw in the activation screen, apparently related to the Voice Over system. Here’s how to do it.
Warning: While this operation should be simple, we are not responsible for what you do to your iPhone. Once completed, you will not be able to connect to a carrier until you have followed the activation instructions. Proceed at your own risk.
Download and Install iOS 5
1. Download the iOS 5 IPSW file
iPad 1 [here]
iPad 2 WiFi [here]
iPad 2 GSM [here]
iPad 2 CDMA [here]
iPhone 3GS [here]
iPhone 4 GSM [here]
iPhone 4 CDMA [here]
iPod Touch 3G [here]
iPod Touch 4G [here]
2. Download iTunes 10.5 beta here
3. Update your iPhone using iTunes. To do this, connect your iPhone to your computer, click on the Check for Update button with theOption (Mac) or Shift (PC) key pressed. Select the iOS 5 IPSW file from the place you downloaded it to.
4. Wait until it upgrades. A new activation screen will appear.
Activate iOS 5
- Triple click the home button. This will activate the Voice Over.
- Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
- Click on Emergency Call and, while it’s switching, swipe with your three fingers down.
- The Notification Center will appear!
- Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
- Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone’s springboard.